Saturday, August 24, 2013

Vinyl Records

I've always enjoyed music. I love everything from Oldies (60s-70s), Classic Rock (80s), Rock, Alternative, Country, Jazz, pretty much anything. Especially if it has great lyrics. What can I say? I'm a writer. I love lyrics. I also love Classical and jazz without the lyrics. The soothing music relaxes me and is great to write to.

Long ago my mom had a record player, it stood about four feet tall and she used it as a shelf. The needle had broke, but she had one that worked as a 5 piece separate unit  that had hooked up on the entertainment center. I wish she still had her records and 45s to this day. One day I decided to buy her a record player and a few records. There is a guy that sells records at the flea market. I also remember several years back when I worked at Fred Meyer's that records were coming back. I ordered one online to her and found some old records to send to her, and sent them all to her for her birthday. After doing so, my intrigue for old things caught me looking back online wanting to order one myself.

The one I found was expensive. Just like hers it was a combo player with radio, CD player, cassette, and USB player. Though unlike hers the one I found had a trumpet horn on the top of it. As soon as I saw it I fell in love with it. When I ordered it my girlfriend at the time wasn't too happy with the amount I paid for it. (Fiance now), but realized how much cheaper records were than CDs at the flea market. Our money would be back in no time if we got records instead. Here's the great thing about records, they last. While most of the time CDs have a hard time lasting more than a few years if you take excellent care of them, records will last generations. I have records from the 1940s that still work great. I love using the record player, and we have music that will last. The sound quality is great, and I love starting them and setting the needle. What can I say, I love old things.

Who else still buys records?

No comments:

Post a Comment