Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Games for kids: Parcheesi

So the other day I played Parcheesi with my son for the first time. I had never played the game before, and had a blast learning it with my son. He ended up beating me at the end, but I was one space away with my last man! This is a great game for children, it's difficult to learn, but once you do it is fast paced and brilliant. The game is from India and is awesome. 

Last weekend I went to a thrift store, since I'm not rich and all. I love walking around and seeing what they have. Especially old things. I'm also a sucker for board games. Well, guess what? I found tons of them. I got parcheesi for $1.50, as well as a tetris game, thinkblot, cranium, and cranium junior. As well as several others, like my son's favorite game Candy Land. This was great for me and I loaded my cart up. 

The problem with society these days is that they give their kids everything. I've often heard complaints of children buying a ton of apps on iphones or ipads. All I can think is, why? Why do you give your child these electronic devices? I know family that has given their children computers before the age of 10, and two or three of their own gaming systems. And parents often wonder how these new generations aren't as smart? Why do they fail at English, when all they do is learning shortcuts in texting? 

When I grew up, I played board games with my family, cards, croquet. This is how it should be. Instead, parents aren't finding time for their children to play with them. So instead they give them electronics. Now, I'm not saying keep your child completely away from electronics. There are Leapfrogs, and V'Tech that made excellent tablets. They are for children, and teach counting, math, and reading as well as thinking skills. I let my son play that, although I don't all the time. He plays some games, but most are older like from the super nintendo, or atari. I know children in my son's school the same age of him that have their own ipad. I can't even afford an ipad for myself, and these children have their own. It took me several years of tablets before I was finally able to get my ASUS. 

Are you a parent? When was the last time you played a board game with your child? Do you not do it enough? How about instead of getting them set up with a cartoon or video game, you pull out an old board game. You'd be surprised how fast they can learn, and how much fun they will have! My son is 5, and already is a master a parcheesi, and has learned several other games. It teaches them counting and thinking skills that will help them in school. 

-Craig A. Price

No comments:

Post a Comment