Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Parenting: Breaking the Shy

When I was young I was pretty much an only child. I had two older brothers, but one left to head to collage and the other moved out. They were both much older than I was. I've noticed for the most part the first born or only child tend to be more shy.

I was very shy. I often played by myself. I do not regret any of it because it helped shape my creative mind. I aspire to be an author. However, under social circumstances I was very shy.

My son is five and I see him falling into the same trap. From the age of 1 until he was 4 he stayed home with either my stepmom or I out in the country.

When I put him in preschool, he was very shy. Barely talking to anybody. Over the last two years I've broken him of most of it.

There is one thing here I would like to share with you.

Make him ask.

That's it. Simple answer. I always make my son ask and use please as well as thank you, but that is a subject for another time. This asking is if we are at someone's house and he tells me he's thirsty. I tell him oh well, you can always ask for a drink.

I also do this to him at resturants. He has to ask for his drink refil, bbq sauce, ketchup, and the like. At first he wouldn't do it, but he realized daddy wasn't going to get it for him and he had to ask.

Now he does so much better, and I've noticed his social skills with other children has improved as well where he will ask them for things.

-Craig A. Price

No comments:

Post a Comment