Thursday, May 8, 2014

Parenting: Getting your child to bed on time

I talk to many parents who struggle to get their child to bed, especially in the early years age 2-4. This is something every parent goes through.

Something I did to get my son on a standard sleeping habit was laying him down in the crib and walking away. This is hard for a lot of parents. It was hard for me. The first dozen times he cried his eyes out for over an hour. I would go check on him, make him a bottle. Since your child will scream, they will get dehydrated. When you fill them up with milk they will get sleepy.

Here's the important part. Your child has to see that you're not going to baby them. If you do then you're going to have that child that screams at wallmart when you don't get them a toy. You don't want that.

It is a heartbreaking week or two, but after a little while your child will see when you leave them in the crib and tell them that it is time for bed, you mean it.

After a while of doing this to my son, when I brought him to bed and told him it was time to sleep - he immdiatly laid down and closed his eyes before I left the room.

We need to use disipline. Society nowdays tries to cuddle us so much and let people do whatever they want, but this is not good, especially for our kids. We don't need to be too hard on them, but we do need to understand how to raise our children to not take life for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment